donderdag 15 april 2010

"My ever changing moods" (2)

You ever had the feeling that your mad or upset about nothing? 

And then when you think about it later (after the mood) you feel stupid and regret every silly thing you said or did. The last few months it's getting very annoying  these moods. After my mood I sit down and think about what was upsetting me. And I can't think of a thing, or is it that little thing, what I should not really be upset about. I don't know.

I think I have told about my sick thyroid, if not, here is the story in short. My thyroid is sick and is not in function anymor, it's there but out of order. How did it came so far? I don't know, it started all in the year 1998. I felt tired and blamed my lazy-ness, I joined a sport and tried to live healty. Nothing worked and I just lived with the fact that I will be always tired, and that helped a bit. 2 or 3 years later I had moments that my heart started beating faster, it could last for 10 or 20 minutes and then my heart calmed down again. I thought, this is not good and I decided to go to a doctor. He took my blood and he told me that my thyroid is sick and need to be cured.

After many visits to the doctor and the hospital, the doctor decided to lay my thyroid still, cause it was to much damaged (I waited to long to see a doctor) The operation went well.  Now that my thyroid was not working anymore, I needed medication to take over the work of the thyroid,  cause, no one can live without a working thyroid. It took me 3/4 years to get the right medication to get rid of my sympthons. But still the medication you have wont take over the work from the thyroid a 100%, said the doctor. I still feel tired and count on that the bunch of other sympthons what a sick thyroid brings. Now I won't complain any further. I feel okay and I'm happy the way I function. You get used to it and you live your life as you plan, cause it's all about planning now.



Symptoms of a sick thyroid

Some of the symptoms are, feeling run down and sluggish, difficulty concentrating, brain fog, feeling cold, especially in the extremities, muscle cramps, irritability, feeling of restlessness even though the person is tired or weak, and mood swings.....

Now these mood swings is what's bothering me the most. I have them lately many times, more then usual, and it makes me feel sad and angry at the same time, and then the feeling afterwards. And then the explaining that it's my thyroid what is not functioning well, how many times did I have to hear that "you are looking fine, your not sick" or "I thought you felt better now with these medication" or "I think it's not the thyroid" I heard everything a million times, and still I have to explain everything a million times.

I think it's time to visit a doctor, or better a specialist to look at my thyroid. Usually I checked my blood in Holland 3 or 4 times a year, cause my thyroid is still a bit like a jojo, the blood results go up and down. Now here in Cananda I have to look for a doctor, it's been almost 6 months that I checked my blood results, and I think it's time. It feels not good and my moods are stronger, I'm curious what my results will be.

I red this post somewhere on the internet.

Can thyroid disease affect a person's mood?


Yes, thyroid disease can affect a person's mood, primarily causing either anxiety or depression. Generally, the more severe the thyroid disease, the more severe the mood changes.

A person who has overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) may experience unusual nervousness, restlessness, anxiety and irritability. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a person who has underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) may experience mild to severe fatigue and depression.

The thyroid gland, in the lower neck, produces hormones which regulate our metabolism and have direct effects on most organs. All cells in the human body will respond to changes in thyroid hormones with a change in the rate at which they work. A lack of thyroid hormone, hypothyroidism, has long been linked to cognitive and memory problems and mood disorders, possibly through the brain chemical serotonin.

Jeanann

hello...

This is my first post to this board. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 1993. Since then i have had bouts with my emotions that just baffel me. Prior to diagnoses i had the same type of emotional upsets, however, i always thought it was something else. What i notice is that when my tsh levels are 1 or under my emotions are controlable. When my thyroid is off, I am not rational, i am impulsive, angry, and out of control, for me. I can feel the discomfort. Stress just brings on the emotions and when my thyroid is off i overreact.

I have hurt people i love and feel that i have done irreplacable damage.

What happens is that with your thyroid levels so high, your metabolism is really jumping and you can sit still. You probably run yourself ragged because you just can't stop moving. Then, it catches up with you, and you get really tired because your body is so stressed. During all of that, you emotions are bubbling.

During the "manic" stage, you may seem happy and well, but overly energetic, then snap and find yourself really angry, suddenly. Angry an energetic can be a volatile combination in some people. In your tired or in-between times, it wouldn't be uncommon to be irritable, but who isn't when you are really tired, right? 

I feel related to this!  And what's wrong to see a doctor to just check my blood results.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I have Graves Disease, which is hypothyroidism, an over-active thyroid. I haven't taken the radioactive iodine, but the levels have been ok so far.

    Try to see a doctor if you can. Hopefully soon you can get on the state health plan.

    Anisah

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I had the radioactive idodine twice... I know my levels will never be 100% okay....but I'm good with it.. will see a doctor soon...I heard good things about the doctors here in Canada.. thanks Anisah

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen